Bogus Asic Renewal E-Mail Continues To Flood Inboxes.
Australian businesses are urged to take extra care when renewing their business name. ASIC sends business a renewal notices 30 days before the expiry and clever scammers have copied this email to promote clicks to their own fraudulent websites.
- When opening any email, you should always check the ‘from’ field. ASIC emails will come from asic.gov.au.
- Hover your mouse cursor over the link to check the link location. If is not a location ending with asic.gov.au then don’t click it.
- The fees requested could be different to the fees ASIC would normally charge.
- Owners are offered or asked to make payment via a phone call.
- A refund being offered after first payment is complete.
To find out more about this scam, you can take a look at the ASIC article here.